A fire can be a devastating event for your home or business. There are a few things that you should know and keep in mind when dealing with the aftermath of a fire. First and foremost, you need to contact a trained fire damage professional, like Klein Construction to come to your location to assess the destruction and to start the clean-up and restoration process.
The first thing that you need to do after the fire is to get the approval from the fire marshal that it is safe to re-enter the building. It may be tempting to go back inside right after a fire, but because of safety concerns, it is important to wait for the approval before you re-enter.
Fire damage and restoration tips:
- Open all windows to create ventilation to help get the smoke out. Also, placing cheese cloths over any vents will help to get the soot and debris out of the air.
- Cover any clean, dry pieces of furniture with plastic to prevent any harm to those items while the restorations are taking place.
- Don’t attempt to clean anything yourself, it may do more harm to those items. Have a professional clean your furniture, flooring, carpet, clothing, walls, etc. Professionals will be able to get the smoke odor out and may also be able to restore any damages that were made to those items.
- Don’t use any electronics, as this may result in electrocution or an electrical malfunction. Have your electronics looked at by a professional to make sure that they are still usable or to see if they can be fixed.
- Remove any open food items or other food that may have been exposed to the fire, it could have become contaminated and no longer be edible.
A fire damage professional can help you save a lot of time and money when dealing with fire damage and restoration. Following the above tips will help with the cleanup process. Just remember to leave it to the professionals and you will be back in your home or business in no time.